Subject: Request for recommendations... Roll bar.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Subject: Request for recommendations... Roll bar.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:00:04 EST
Hi Jim,

Most of the roll bars you see in catalogs are better called "street bars".
These provide minimal protection in the event of an actual roll over and are
mostly for show. They bolt to the rear "seat" platform. This is not the most
secure mounting method. These bars usually mount at four points and don't have
diagonal brace. I have one in my TR4 and am looking for something better. It's
been a while since I put the top up and down on the car (it's been a long
resto!), but I seem to recall it's a close fit and I have to "taughten" the
hood
sticks to swing over, clear the bar and position the top, then loosen the hood
sticks to attach everything, then re-taughten the top.

The best way to install a roll bar in a TR would be to bolt it to the frame,
perhaps via some of the body mounting points. This not only provides the
strongest protection in the event of an accident, but also strengthens the
frame.
Generally this means something more expensive and less convenient.

There are some companies that have a wide range of patterns, such as
Autopower. They do list most TRs as available in two or three different build
levels,
but I'd inquire how they fit, if they allow the top to be put up and down,
etc. (Street bars probably would, race bars might or might not, roll cages
almost
certainly wouldn't allow the top to be put up and down.  If nothing else, you
can get an idea what's available and how it's priced. Autopower has a website
at www.autopowerindustries.com.

There are also custom builders in most towns, who might be able to help or
design something specific for your car, as well as "semi-custom" kits that you
weld or have someone weld. Look for automotive performance welding shops as a
possible place to have the work done. I haven't gone this route, but will
likely compare before making any purchases.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm

.
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:34:00 -0700
From "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps at cox.net>
Subject: Request for recommendations

I am hoping/planning to install a "roll bar" in my current TR250 project.

1. Does anyone have experience with the "roll bar" that Moss sells. It seems
rather expensive to me!

2. Does anyone have any experience with an over-the-counter (as opposed to
custom) "roll bar" from any other source?

3. Does anyone have any experience with a maker of custom built "roll bars"?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3 (Sold!)