Re: Request for recommendations

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Request for recommendations
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:48:37 -0800 (PST)
> I am hoping/planning to install a "roll bar" in my current TR250 project.
>
> 1. Does anyone have experience with the "roll bar" that Moss sells. It seems
> rather expensive to me!
>
> 2. Does anyone have any experience with an over-the-counter (as opposed to
> custom) "roll bar" from any other source?

They're never cheap. You might be able to find a used one relatively
cheap if you keep looking. Installation is the hard part of the problem -
please use steel backing plates that are as thick as the base "pads"
and I suggest using doubled nyloc nuts.

My experience with premade rollbars is that they're not as tall as
they could be, and that's a bad thing, given that I'm tall. So I
am less than happy with the one in my 4A (bought used many years
ago) - there's at least an inch of room left over between the top
of the top tube and the soft top. Some day, I'll either get this
one "extended" (possible to do, but probably not wise) or get
a custom one made up.

Try finding a race car manufacturer near you and see what they
can do as a custom job. Consider having a harness bar or a
headrest built in. Decide why you want the bar - are you going
to spend any time on the track? Do you want a detachable diagonal
that would be (more or less) Solo 1 legal? These are options
when going custom.

Good luck.