Re: Laycock J OD in a TR3A?

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Laycock J OD in a TR3A?
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:07:52 -0700
Paul,

The main physical difference between the Type A and the Type J O/D unit is
the position of the O/D relay. In the Type A the O/D relay mounts vertically
and does not interfere with either the floor pan nor the transmission cover.
The Type J O/D on the other hand has the O/D relay mounted horizontally and
it would interfere with the floor pan, big time! This installation would
require modification to the floor pan, the floor pan flange mating surface,
and the transmission cover to fit over/around the other modifications. A
very big job in my estimation.

I have an early TR6 gearbox in my TR3 with a Type A O/D. This gearbox
assembly was close to 1/2 inch longer than the stock TR3 gearbox and O/D we
took out. This was easily adjusted for by slotting the rear transmission
mounting holes to accommodate the longer gearbox. We rebuilt the original
TR3 transmission cover to go onto the TR6 gearbox so that I kept the
transmission dipstick and TR3 O/D isolator switches. I believe the later
Type J O/Ds only have O/D in 3rd and 4th. I really like having O/D in all 3
gears!

One other consideration, the later gearboxes have a completely different
rear mount. Instead of a "flat bar" perpendicular to the transmission's
axis, the later models have a "Vee" shaped mount with round rubber "hockey
puck" supports on each side of the "Vee". It looks to me that these mounts
would also require modification of the trans cover sheet metal, although I
am not sure about that.

In any case YMMV!

Good luck,

Jim Bauder