RE: Soldering bullet connectors

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Soldering bullet connectors
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:36:07 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i7QHb9t2012317
Message text written by "Randall"
>I've actually never had one that I did fail, in over 20 years of TR
ownership.  And certainly many of the ones that did fail were from a DPO.

> There are
> solder type and crimp type.  Speaking of which, British Wire
> carry a bullet
> crimper.  Not cheap but if you do a lot of them it will save time
> and money
> and give a more consistant result.

Likely longer lasting too, especially if you then solder the connection at
the tip, beyond the crimp.  That way the crimp provides strain relief to
the
solder connection, even if the crimp turns out to not be gas tight (which
is
essential to a long lived connection).
<

Keeping the bullet connectors on the end of the wire is not the problem,
the real problem is maintaining a good electrical connection between the
bullet and the connector into which it is inserted.

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: