RE: TR4 Dog Bolt Torque - & balance pieces

To: "Triumphs List \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Dog Bolt Torque - & balance pieces
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:12:06 -0700
> After pulling it all apart a couple of things presented
> themselves. The dog
> bolt was loose, and the woodruff key was markedly damaged. How
> the dog bolt got
> loose I haven't a clue,

The hub is supposed to be a tight fit on the shaft, tight enough that it
can't move with each cylinder firing.  If the hub and/or crank is worn until
it's no longer tight, this is exactly what will happen.  If you were able to
push the hub onto the crank with your fingers, then I think the problem will
recur.

> Another thing, I messed up and forgot to mark the way the balance
> pieces were
> when I took them off. Is there a way to know which way to
> reassemble them?
> Since I now have a plastic yellow fan are they still needed?

Seems unlikely, since they were to balance the fan.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: