Re: Steering wheel recovering/restoration, companies used?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel recovering/restoration, companies used?
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:17:28 -0400
> I am about to get my TR5 steering wheel recovered around the rim section
> (the 3 spokes are mint) and I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever
used
> any companies that specialize in steering wheel recovering? > Paul Seedoff
-----------------------------
Paul,

You can send it off, of course.  I remember a posting from someone on the
list who did it, but was unhappy with the quality of the results.  This
experience certainly varies according to customer and to service provider.

Alternatively, you can--as I did--do it yourself, also according to advice
on the list.  Most people recommended the product JB Weld, which I found did
a great job of filling in the cracks and being sandable to the proper
contours.  Then I painted the whole thing with Rustoleum Barbecue paint and
cooked it in the oven.

Uhm, my wife has taken to shouting to the kids,  "Dad is cooking his car in
the oven again.  That means he has to take us out to dinner!"  ...just so
you're aware of the downside.  It doesn't seem to matter if it's dinnertime
or not.

The end product was not spectacular, mostly because the plastic on my wheel
had separated where the spokes enter the rim, leaving an unnatural lump that
remained even after I filled and sanded.  ...But, the process cost me about
$5.00, and I plan to cover the wheel with a good, expensive quality leather
cover anyway, so the whole thing will be invisible.

Good luck, and have fun!

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  (Still body off the frame, but the rest rebuilt or replaced and
back on...except the gas and brake lines.)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: