TR6 Broken suspension questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Broken suspension questions
From: "shawmon" <shawmon@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:56:49 -0700
Sorry about the resend.  Still looking for input, esp. on the bracket plate
washer question.

Thanks, all.

: Hey folks,
:
: I spend most of my time around here lurking and learning, but I have a
: couple of specific questions regarding repairs to my 1970 TR6.  A while
back
: the right front suspension collapsed while backing out of my driveway.  A
: closer inspection showed that the support bracket to which the lower rear
: wishbone attaches had sheared off entirely.  Luckily, in retrospect I
: realize that the process had begun a day or two before, but had decided
not
: to completely fail while I was cruising at 80 on the freeway.  Anyway, I
: have painstakingly ground off the remaining bits of the old bracket in
: preparation to weld on a new one.  As I have no welding experience, I plan
: to bring in someone to do the job.
:
: The questions:  any pointers about welding?  I have prepped the frame as
: much as I know how, but since I've never done something like this, are
there
: any pre-welding prep pointers I should know?
:
: Also, I ordered the TRF support bracket plate washers so this doesn't
happen
: again to the other three original (but healthy) brackets.  My question is:
: do these washers need to be welded to the back of the brackets, or should
: they simply be held in place by wishbone nut and bolt assembly?
:
: Thanks for your help. I hope to get this taken care of in the next week or
: so, and these questions are keeping me from completing the job.
:
: Shawn Mann
: 70 TR6
: