RE: electric fan conversion on a TR3A

Subject: RE: electric fan conversion on a TR3A
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:16:59 -0700
> I'm thinking of replacing the fan on my 1960 TR3A with a 12"
> Hayden electric fan kit from Moss installed as a "puller".

Just a side comment Dave, the 12" is the smallest fan that Hayden recommends
as a replacement, and only for engines up to 2.0 liters.  If you're running
86mm liners, their recommendation is to move to the 14".  (I'd recommend it
anyway)

> 1) Will I need to add a harmonic balancer to compensate for the
> missing fan?

As long as you never go over 5000 rpm for any length of time, you should be
OK.  I've run that way for about 20 years now, shifting at 5500 but never
running that fast (won't run that fast or I would probably have tried it
<g>).  Original crank is worn, but unbroken.

> If so,
>     where can I find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

It's not easy ... but the harmonic dampener from a 3-main MGB can be made to
fit, by adding a spacer and using a special seal.  TriumphTune used to sell
the spacer & seal, but I don't know if they still do.

> 2) Does anyone have any comments about the Moss kit (completeness, ease of
>     installation, etc.)?

Since you'll be pulling the front apron anyway, the rest of it kind of pales
into insignificance.  I didn't use the Moss kit, got a Hayden kit at a local
discount parts house where it was on sale.  The fan installation itself is
pretty trivial, the harder part is all the other changes to be made to
accommodate it.  Since you're mounting it as a puller, you'll need to remove
the original fan extension, which means a different center bolt and some
sort of clamping arrangement for the remaining hub.  Be sure it pulls up on
the hub and not on the end of the crank, otherwise you'll regret it later !

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: