RE: Thrust (T/O) bearings (long) http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm

To: mmarr@nexant.com, jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Thrust (T/O) bearings (long) http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:04:25 -0500
>I had a 1984 Audi 4000 Quattro that lasted 285,000 miles before the clutch
>failed,

Same here.  I had a pair of VW Quantum Syncro cars (same drivetrain,
different suspension as the 4000 Quattro).  When I sold them, the rattier
of the two had a perfectly-operating original clutch setup with 247,000
miles on it.  The power steering was GONE.  The driver-door power window
cable was hosed and Iid rigged up a manual window lift using sailboat
parts.  The air-conditioning worked perfectly also, with no apparent
service.

My Saturn throwout failed at 140,000 or so, so I had my buddy Dwight put in
a LUK clutch package.  I'd expected the clutch to have worn out before the
TO, but Dwight said it looked amazingly thick.

The Lotus makes noise when the clutch is depressed, but I will wait.  I can
see the disk through a bell-housing window, and it is OK.

The TR4 works fine.  Dunno when it may have been changed.

Suburban is a slushbox.

Phil Ethier

Check out the new British Cars Forum: