TR4 Gearbox woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (List Triumph)
Subject: TR4 Gearbox woes
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:47:13 +0000
Listers:
  Here's one for all you Gearbox Gurus.  I have a TR4 gearbox that pops out of
second gear when decelerating.  I have it out of the car and apart, but can't
find a smoking gun.  Here's what I do know:
     1.  The shift fork doesn't show any wear, and mics to the same thickness
as a new one I bought to put in.
     2.  The clearance between the syncro ring and 2nd gear is .025", not 'as
new', but I've seen worse.
     3.  The small "dog" teeth on the syncro and 2nd gear both look good with
minimal wear and tear.
     4.  End float of the 2nd & 3rd gear bushes on the mainshaft is within
tolerance.
What am I missing here.  I sure don't want to put this back in the car and have
the same problem.  I'd feel a whole lot better about this if I'd found
something broken!
--
Mark Macy
New Carlisle, OH