Re: IRS Clunk

To: "David Brister" <brister@tiscali.fr>
Subject: Re: IRS Clunk
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:01:15 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
OK, I pulled off the wheel and checked all the moving parts.  Nothing
obviously wrong.  All the U-J's seemed decent, but the one inside the
trailing arm is somewhat hard to test.  Between the brake drum and the outer
half of the half shaft (outer 1/4 shaft?) there is a tiny amount of play,
but I can not tell for sure.  The nuts on the studs retaining the brake drum
and splined wheel hub are so tight I could not brake them free by hand.  I
need an impact wrench for them.  So, I did not get any deeper into the works
of the rear-end.

The brake drum was dragging at one point in its rotation (for some unknown
reason... out of true?) and I slacked off the adjuster one flat.  Drag was
gone AND the clunk was gone after a brief drive.  Now I will see what
happens over time.

-Tony