Touring Euro style

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Touring Euro style
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:01:43 +0200 (CEST)
Hello Listers,

A few weeks ago, I did a local tour with a friend in his Volvo Amazon.
Pictures here:

http://www.intuh.net/wok/

It didn't draw many 'interesting' cars, probably because the weather was a
bit iffy. The Morgan 3-wheeler (want one) and the Vitesse/Sport 6 did not
participate and the Spitfire with the dodgy doorgap isn't mine. There was
just one prize (for which the criteria weren't revealed), which went to a
splendidly dressed 90-year old couple with a Ford model A Tudor. Much
deserved, I thought.

Today, my Spitfire and I participated in a regularity tour over 110kms
(about 68 miles), which is now in its 21st year. Pics are here:

http://www.intuh.net/vmc/

It is always very well subscribed, with classic mopeds, motorcycles
(oldest today was a 1903 Peugeot) and a wide variety of classic cars, some
truly magnificent. The only four-wheeled Triumphs were four Spitfires (two
of them owned by friends of mine), a TR6, a Stag and a Roadster.
Noteworthy other entries were a 1930 Hillman Special (didn't get a picture
of that), several big Healeys, an almost perfect pre-war Rolls-Royce 20/25
and a tiny Messerschmidt KR200. For the last few years, a huge 1924
Studebaker Tourer has participated, with rear band brakes only, which
doesn't keep its owner from driving it like a modern car. Frightening, but
impressive.

I must say I prefer these unsegregated events to the one-marque rallies.
You get to meet all sorts of classic car nuts. I talked to the owner of a
beautiful Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III who turned out to live in my
village!

Cheers,

Eric

--