Re: TR4 tires

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 tires
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:50:21 -0700
ScharfR@aol.com wrote:

>..As far as thoroughbred is concerned, TRs were shod with some pretty pathetic
>rubber in their day. Just about any modern radial is an improvement on a TR4's
>original footwear, so my conscience isn't bothering me on that count.  I'm
>leaning toward something in the not-to-exceed $60 per tire range.  However, I
>have had a few very good reports on the Kumho at under $30 each.  That's real
>money saved and it gives one pause...

My most recent set was Dunlop SP20 A/S in 165R15.  This was about 2
years ago so perhaps these too have gone the way of some many other
selections.  At the time I got them I had to check around a bit as
availability was intermittent.  Perhaps this is the case with low-demand
sizes... not necessarily discontinued, but also not continuously
produced.  Anyway, they seem fine for me, look just right on the car,
were inexpensive ($40) and are almost British having come from the land
of the Kiwis.

BTW, couldn't find them locally but they were available from
TireRack.com.  Once my local dealer learned I found them there he was
suddenly able to find them himself and match their price.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon, AZ