RE: Decking and Liner Q's

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Decking and Liner Q's
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 03:02:58 -0700
> 1. I inserted my liners into the block on top of my new copper figure
> of 8's, without and sealant. I tapped the liners in place with a wood
> block,then measured the gap as recommended. On all 4 liners I am
> getting between .007 and.009 instead of the recommended .002 to .005.
> Am I carrying out this stage correctly?

Sounds like it, yes.

> 2.Is the height of the liners above the block supposed to be at the
> recommended figures after the head is bolted in place?

You could certainly try torquing the head down and removing it, to see what
happens.  But normally it's not required.

> 3. Are the figures I am getting un acceptable, or could I just
> continue and hope for the best?

I would just continue.  The risk is that the head gasket may leak water
either outside the engine or into the crankcase, but since the liners are
evenly high, and the head gasket crushes quite a bit when it's installed
(and the pressure in the water jacket is quite low); I don't think an extra
.002" to .004" will be a problem at all.

I have the opposite problem with my engine, the liners are too low in the
block.  To keep the cylinders sealed, I have added copper wire to the head
gasket, which ISTR is some .020" thick.  The net effect should be similar to
having liners too high.  No signs of any problems with water (or oil) leaks
in several years of daily driving now.

> 4. The copper gaskets I am using are the standard thickness of
> approx. .015. Are there thinner ones available

Mordy Dunst told me that he could cut "figure 8" gaskets any thickness I
wanted.
http://www.headgasket.com/

> 5. One article recommends bolting the head on with the use of an old
> head gasket, but without any liners, then removing the head and
> measuring the height BELOW the block the liners are, then using maths
> to work out what gaskets to use. But surely, the liners don't
> compress!, so why bolt the head on?.

Perhaps they were worried about the liners being tight in the block ??
Makes no sense to me.

> If someone could guide me on this whole matter I would be grateful.

John, in all honesty, I don't think you have a problem.  As long as you're
using an original-type composition head gasket (as opposed to a solid metal
one), I think it will seal up just fine.  If you want to hedge your bet, get
some of Mordy's miracle head gasket sealer and use that.  But I don't think
you'll need it.

Randall