RE: Tr3a findings and lessons learned pt1

To: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>, "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr3a findings and lessons learned pt1
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:25:33 -0400 from [4.10.138.246] at Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:26:16 -0500
David,
I've had the same problem on my TR3.  I even took the fuel shut off valve
out as the cork was leaking allowing air to get in the line.  After the
latest problem I looked at the fitting going into the tank and found a very
small seep.  I tightened the line and haven't had a problem since.  Also
check the fuel tank to ensure you have a good flow and no restriction.  One
last thing to check is the fuel tank cap.  It has to be open to allow air to
flow back into the tank or a vacuum will be created which will interupt the
flow of gas to the carb.
Pete

David Templeton wrote:

>So the result is a very nice idle. Took the car home and still noticed that
if
>I drive for a period over 1800rpm's the carbs seem they use more fuel then
>being delivered and end up starving out. Sometimes I need to pull over and
>can refill them by using the priming pump on the fuel pump. This pump has
been
>rebuilt and I know it is on the cam because sometimes I have to rotate the
>engine a bit to use the lever.  Not sure if this is something to note, when
>reprime the pump air bubbles show up in the fuel bowl.

David, sounds to me like maybe a bad sediment bowl gasket, a leak in the
fitting of the' input' hard line, or maybe even a poor connection of the
soft line running past the steering column. The gasket especially would
be consistent with your fuel starvation problem too since at higher revs
it'll suck air, but it might seal well enough to not leak noticably.
Replace the gasket if you haven't, check to make sure it's seated
properly if you have. Also make sure the sealing surfaces are clean, and
that there's no crack in the glass bowl. I haven't been able to reuse
those gaskets more than a few times and always carry a couple spares.
Some people have had more luck with rubber gaskets than the original
cork, but cork has done it for me.

I'm assuming at that stuff is pretty much the same on the TR3 and my TR4.