RE: R&P TR3b

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: R&P TR3b
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:22:37 -0700
> My Dad, who lives in England, got them for me.  This was about 3
> or 4 years
> ago so maybe they have stopped carrying them?  I had to drill out the
> retainer pin holes a little bit to get them to fit. I could have him call
> them if you like??  Let me know..............

No need, that means you have the TR4 calipers.  Those they still make.  TR3
calipers don't have pins (although the TR4 unit was supposedly original on
some of the TR3B).

> > Are both the slave and the master properly adjusted ?  The
> > slave has to be
> > periodically adjusted, but normally the pedal gets higher as it wears
> > (until
> > the clutch starts slipping) rather than lower.
> >
> I will have to check this - time to dig out the Haynes, right?!

If memory serves, the Haynes is not real clear on this stuff.  For the slave
adjustment, you just want to be sure there is a little bit, and only a
little bit, of free travel when the piston is home in the slave cylinder
bore.  Anywhere between .010" and .060" will do, I generally just push the
piston home by hand (if it moves then the spring needs replaced) and then
pull the lever away as far as I can (against the spring and clutch), and
check that the rod is loose but not floppy at that point.  Same thing at the
master, except the piston has to be all the way out.  Make sure the pedal
isn't binding, and holding the MC piston slightly depressed.  The pedal
pivot is actually supposed to be oiled occasionally ...

Randall