bolt extractors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: bolt extractors
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:28:50 -0400 FILETIME=[1570E040:01C46A0B]
Fellow Listers,

When you are trying to remove a broken bolt please consider what is holding
it in place. It is not torque it is rust. If you want to get it out you need
to "kill" the rust.

The answer is heat. Please be both careful and safe. You really do not need
to melt the head or what ever but it can be done.

Heat - cool - oil .....heat - cool - oil ....heat - cool - oil .......

If you work at it with the idea that you REALLY want to succeed you will.

I just had a stud brake off in an alloy front cover and not being able to
get it out would mean taking the motor out to fix it. In the end I was able
to turn it out with very light pressure with some grips. YES, one needs to
be very careful. A torch can burn the shop to the ground. In my case I could
have warped the casing but take it slowly and sooooooo it will came out.

If you have a stud broken off "flush" it may be possible to kill the rust
and then put a hollow tube down to it and weld the tube to the broken stud.
Say a 3/8's stud and a 5/16's tube. Welding rod in the center and you should
have something to twist the stud out.

VERY BEST
John

Greenfield, Ma
Gloucester, Ma

       ***  ~*~*~* ALWAYS BE SAFE  *~*~*~  ***
Life is not a race.....you do not want to finish first.