Re: 165-15 tires for TRs

To: <ScharfR@aol.com>, <timipurdy@citlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 165-15 tires for TRs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:06:20 -0700
Bob & Tim -- congrats on sticking with the 165-15 size tire for your TR4.
These are commonly referred to as
a "metric" size and uses the default profile of @82%.  This means that ratio of
the height of the sidewall
to the width of the tire is higher than most modern tires.  This gives the tire
a real "period look" and of
course you get to experience "period handling" as well, which I believe is a
good thing.

I run the Cooper Sportmaster tire, 165-15 Metric.  It's all-black rubber, good
tread pattern and looks great
on the car (mine run on original 5" ARE Silverstone wheels).   I've seen these
tires on the standard disc
wheels, too -- look great. I haven't seen them on wire wheels, someone else may
comment on that. These tires
are reasonably priced and are supposed to last a while.

--Chris
1964 TR4A (yeah, that's 1964, but you don't rock the DMV boat here in CA...)