RE: TR4 Trunnions

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Trunnions
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:43:21 -0700
> I have been rebuilding the front suspension as I frame off restore my 62
> TR4.  In the Haynes manual, the book describes that the proper way to
> achieve 0.004" to 0.012" worth of proper clearance, fit the necessary
> washers & rubber rings, slip the wishbone onto the pin, slip the outer
> washer, torque the nut to 5 ft-lbs, then back off a few flats. Then insert
> the cotter pin.
> My question is this:  5 ft-lbs seems awful low.  I have 3 different books,
> all describing the same spec.  When I try to torque the nut to 5 ft-lbs,
> there is interference between the splines on the trunnion pin and the
> washer.  If I  torque to 5-ft lbs, (quickly reached as the washer start to
> interfere on the splines) it looks like I have a boatload of clearance
> (1/4"?).

I agree, very strange.  The 5 ftlb would work if you were replacing the old
outer plates (washers), but isn't enough to form the splines into new ones.

My suggestion is to follow the TR3 instructions, which say to tighten the
two nuts equally until the joint is 'solid' (meaning you can no longer move
it up and down by hand, obviously before the spring is installed), then back
off 1.5 to 2 flats.

The parts are the same and these instructions work fine for me.

Randall