Re: Kids, shows, owners

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Kids, shows, owners
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:17:20 -0500
> At shows I have always encouraged kids/families to sit in my car, take
> pictures, and tell them as much about my car as I can,  about restoring
them
> and most of all the folks on this list and the help they give each and
every
> owner, the fun of ownership at shows is sharing the hobbie, I go off the
deep
> end when I see signs "Do-Not Touch" at cars shows, if you do want your car
> touched keep it in the garage don't come out for people to see, hear and
enjoy
> our hobbie after all the kids of today are the owners of tomorrow, thats
what
> we should all be about "sharing our cars"
> Kurtis and George Hahn said it perfectly, it is neat watching kids at
shows
> enjoy our sporty cars, it leaves a lasting memory for them and the proud
> owner.  "FT"

Since (as I stated) my car is certainly not at a show to be competitively
judged, the hobby's sharing aspect is really all I get out of it most times.
The occasional back seat in my car is a huge kid magnet, and I'm always
quick to encourage small children to climb in and try it out; however, I
certainly don't fault those who choose to restrict access to their cars.  I
know how much effort I've put into just keeping mine on the road in
presentable condition, so I can only image the efforts required to maintain
a show car (and the anxiety an owner of one would surely experience seeing
small kids climbing around inside it).

And Fred... hopefully that lasting memory you speak of will stick with a few
of them, and eventually result in added Triumph enthusiasts down the road.
Since Triumphs are no longer manufactured, and it is unlikely that anyone
much under the age of 30 can even recall a time when they were, it is our
responsibility to perpetuate the hobby.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas