RE: Nylon/Poly Bushings

Subject: RE: Nylon/Poly Bushings
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 18:23:43 -0700
Does anyone have an experience in using the nylon/poly bushings in place
of the
traditional bushings in the front and rear suspensions?  If so, are they
worth the
added costs?
It's debatable. I installed urethane bushings (red) on all four corners. I
was warned that they'd eventually start squeaking, and to put a thin film
of Lithium grease on them, which I did. After 15,000 miles they're starting
to squeak when cold, but the suspension is still pretty tight otherwise.
I've toyed with the idea of spraying some silicone in there, but not to the
point of having shipwrights disease.
Also, are they used with or in-place of the rubber bushings.  All of the
catalogs I
have do not make this clear.
They're a direct replacement. No mods or other changes/parts needed.
_______________________________
What about the uprated springs?  Any thoughts or experiences with these?
_________________________________
I have the uprated springs as well, but stock shocks. At first they seemed
pretty hard, and the front still does. But, the rears have settled in. When
I took a trip to Laughlin for Triumphest two years ago (about 250 miles one
way) the ride was a little bouncy in front, as was the rear. But recently,
the front and rears seem softer, and the rear "droop" is back. I have
another set (slightly harder still) which I'm thinking of going to when I
do the Revington tube shock conversion.

Back in the early 70's I had switched the front shocks to Koni's and found
the ride was too hard even on the soft setting, so I stayed with stock
shocks during the restoration two years ago. Maybe, if funds allow, I'll
switch to Koni's or Spax's when I do the rears.

As a further note, I installed the 5/8" sway bar on the front, and am
really happy I did. The cornering is much more stable and the car steers
where I put it. For freeway driving (I do a lot) the car is extremely
stable and can drive longer distances without too much fatigue.

John in San Diego
'67 TR4A IRS