TR3A Vacuum Advance adjustment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Vacuum Advance adjustment
From: Triumph TR2 <triumphtr2@direcway.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:38:02 -0400
Once I do get my electical problems resoved, I'm back to tuning. It now runs
rougher than when I started smoothing it out! Sounds like a gallop cadence...

I'm assuming this is primarily caused by bad timing, although the the static
light timing seems correct. (BTW, setting the timing mark 3/8" left of the
pointer means, I assume, left from the driver's perspective? Instructions I
have refer to clockwise/counterclockwise directions when looking from front of
the car, but don't qualify "left", so assume it is as usual, from driver's
reference.)

The only references I can find to adjusting the vacuum advance on the
distributor says " move one click of the vernier to advance 2 degrees". Between
the DPO and moreso the DCO, it's been spun to both ends of its excursion, and
now sits at some random spot in between... how do I calibrate this to start at
some known point of advance/retard?

TIA

Cameron Joyce
'59 TR3A