newbie & horn question

To: triumph autox bbs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: newbie & horn question
From: Francis Precht <fprecht@frostburg.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:54:23 -0400
I'm the new caretaker/protector of 1965 TR4A #CTC62027L.  It is
mechanically in pretty good shape, needs a touch of body
work, and has some electrical "issues" (horns, dash lights, wipers,
speedo, .....)

I also have a 1952 MGTD that has been under going a frame off for the
past 5 years (I got a little frustrated and wanted to drive something
fun NOW, so I got the TR !)  What a blast !!   Of course the garage is
now too small, so that's being enlarged too.  Nothing like too many
projects at once !!

Anyway, not a complete stranger to Lucas (the so-called Prince of
Darkness)  I am having a 'go' at the horns.  I've already
re-soldered the purple wire to the horn slip ring inside the steering
column, swaped the lighting switch and directional signals to
their correct locations, fixed 2 shorted wires on them, and replaced the
jumper on the steering column in the engine compartment at the first
rubber link.  I've got continuity to ground thru the inner steering
column now, and the horns work when I jump the spring loaded contact
from the horn button to ground.

Now for the perplexing issue:
1) the horns properly sound when I jumper from the spring loaded contact
to ground, and the ammeter goes to about -10
2) when I jumper to the inner steering column the way the horn button
works (which is now properly grounded and shows good continuity) I get a
quick wimpy 'urp' from the horns, and the ammeter spikes.  This almost
sounds like a short.

Although Moss shows a horn relay, I have not been able to locate such -
anybody know where it's supposed to be ???  Of course, I can't seem to
find the inline fuse between the starter solenoid and the horns either.
Probably went away with a previous owner.

Anybody got any suggestions where to proceed from here ??  Anybody know
the proper fuse size for the inline fuse to the horns ?

Many thanks for any and all assistance.
Bud Precht
Frostburg, Maryland
1965 TR4A (hoping to find its voice soon)
1952 MGTD (temporarily taking a restful sleep)