water pump woes - TR3

To: wises@new.rr.com
Subject: water pump woes - TR3
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:21:32 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greetings Bob,

During 2002 I had two similar failures associated with the water pump on
my TR4.  I believe both the failures were caused by substandard new
water pump pulleys (both made in Taiwan) obtained from the usual
commercial sources.  The first failure was enroute to the  TRA natl
convention - the pulley wore to the point of wobble around the pump
shaft - I was able to limp to the convention hotel where I replaced the
pulley and pump.  Later the same summer, on the way home from VTR natl
convention in Red Wing, MN, the pulley I installed six weeks earlier
disintegrated at 80 mph.  Very dramatic!

When I got home I installed a Stan-Part NOS pump & pulley I had on the
shelf.  No trouble since.  Interestingly, the NOS Stan-Part pulley
weighs noticeably more than the "made in Taiwan" pulley available from
the mail order venders.

My suggestion is to find and use a Stan-Part pulley if at all possible.

brgds, Jay

'64 TR4 since '67