Repaint advice

To: "Ian Viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Repaint advice
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:14:13 -0400
Cc: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net> i59CG2gs011098
Message text written by "Ian Viles"
>Today, wings (in primer) were test fitted to check alignment - no problems
as it was pretty good before. But should I top coat the wings off the car
or
top coat the edges, door shuts, door frames etc. then fit and paint the
rest?  Presumably the line of bolts that hold the front wings on were body
colour?  So maybe my latter option is best?
<

I'm no expert but I think one reason these cars rusted so is because the
inside surfaces of the body panels (the parts you can't see) were not top
coated and primer doesn't provide a sufficient barrier against moisture.
When I had my car apart I topcoated the insdes of the wings, inner fenders
and all the unseen surfaces with an aeorsol paint, paying special attention
to the area that mate together since these are the areas most prone to
rust.  I then assembled the car and had the whole thing painted.

I don't drive the car in the rain very much and it has only been 8 years so
it is too soon to tell if the treatment is effective but it is certainly
better thah what the factory did.  Andit is not that much more work for you
since you already have the wings off.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dave