RE: TR3 Fan hub removal

To: <JMcmahon@ICTGROUP.COM>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Fan hub removal
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:01:32 -0700
> Any listee care to share with me how to remove the the fan hub?  I thought
> the 7 bolts holding the 2 piece crank pulley would do it.  I see on the
> TR250 there is a bolt that goes into the crank and started sniffing around
> that angle.  It looks like you can get an 1 1/8 inch wrench on the end of
> crank starter. I couldn't get it to budge...am I on the right
> track?

Yup, that's it.  The crank dog is incorporated in the head of the rather
stout bolt that holds the hub to the crank.

One method that's been suggested to remove the bolt is to use a socket
(preferably 6-point) and breaker bar.  Install it so the breaker bar handle
is near the floor on the LH side of the car (from the driver's point of
view), then crank the engine a bit.  The handle will hit the floor, and full
starter torque will be applied to the bolt.

Personally I've always been able to turn the breaker bar myself,
transmission in 4th & parking brake set, to remove the bolt.  But my cars
have never been started with the crank, so perhaps the bolt wasn't as tight
as some are.

Randall