RE: Spitfire Differential Swap - HELP!!

To: "'Jim Muller'" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Differential Swap - HELP!!
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:52:39 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Jim Muller
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 6:13 PM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net

On 4 Jun 2004 at 8:20, Joe Curry wrote:
> You are correct, I have to disagree.  It is possible to remove the
> pumpkin from the back case with the back case still attached to the
> frame by the rear horizontal mounting bolt.

Joe, thank you for being so disagreeable. :-)  This isn't the first
time I've posted something when I don't know what I'm talking about
(or had enough beer to make me get it wrong).  Probably won't be the
last either.  But when I'm confused or puzzled about something, I'm
happy to be corrected by folks who do know about it.

Actually, I'm glad to hear that that move is possible.  I've pulled
the diff before and don't want to do it again.  Never cracked one
open though I've contemplated it.  But tell me please, to what are
the pinion gear bearings mounted?  And wouldn't pulling the stub
axles be a difficult requirement first, no matter where the bearings
are located?

Tanks,

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com

Jim,
I am not sure to what you are referring when you say "Pinion gear
bushings", so I am unable to answer that part.  However, pulling the
axles off is not particularly difficult.  Once the spring is removed,
the uprights can be pulled out and reduce the tension on the axles.  So
when you unbolt the flanges from the output shafts, the axles will swing
out of the way.  Then you can remove the Allen bolts holding in the
output shafts and pull those out.  Removing the driveshaft flange will
allow you to wire it up above the diff and out of the way.  Then you can
remove the two nuts that hold the two ears of the front bracket onto the
frame and hinge the whole diff case downward.  That will allow you to
get to all the bolts that hold the diff assembly into the rear case
while it is still attached to the frame.

Regards,
Joe