RE: Fuel Filter Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Filter Question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:13:36 -0700
> Does anyone have any ideas why there is nothing in the bowl but the
> little screen? (The old ones had that too!).

IMO it's because the SU carbs (and I suppose ZS too) do not care about fine
trash in the fuel like American carbs do.  IOW there was no need for any
better filtration than the factory sediment bowl (which is all I use on my
daily driver).

And FWIW, over the years, I have had far more problems caused by paper
element fuel filters (on other cars) than I have had from dirt in the fuel
on my TR3A.  I can think of only twice in the past 20 years I've had a float
'stick open', and I'm pretty sure that both times, it was caused by
deteriorating soft line near the carbs, that would not have been caught by a
filter anyway.

BTW, my Sports 6 has the inverted sediment bowl as someone mentioned ...
turns out that the fuel is both added and taken out through tubes that run
to the top of the bowl, so it likely works just as well as the suspended
bowl on the TR3A.

Oh yes, the inside of my original fuel tank is coated with fine rust, just
like Triumph delivered it ... I do find rust particles both in the sediment
bowl and in the carb bowls.  Never seems to hurt anything tho.

YMMV
Randall