RE: TR2-6 Brake performance

Subject: RE: TR2-6 Brake performance
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:20:40 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> As long as the wheels don't lock up the tire contact to the pavement is
> static

Actually, it's not.  The tires do slide against the pavement, a bit, under
maximum braking.

> and if that is the limiting factor the static coefficient of
> friction is constant so the decelleration shoudl be the same from 60 to 50
> as it is from 20 to 10.

Ok, that I'll buy.

>  But the kinetic energy removed is not.

Sure it is, in terms of distance traveled.  Work is force (which is nearly
constant because the coefficient of friction is nearly constant) times
distance; the change in kinetic energy is directly proportional to the work
done on the car.

Or at least that's the way they taught it in my high school <G>

Randall