RE: * TR3 Crapped Out Again *

To: "'Wayne Brazinski'" <wayne@brazinski.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: * TR3 Crapped Out Again *
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:20:15 -0700
Hi-
  I went through something that sounded just like this with my TR6. Ran
fine when cold and then started missing and running horribly after it
warmed up. I was finding an fising every vacuum leak and replacing coils
and plug wires. Tool the Crane Ignition out and put the points back in
all to no avail. This drove me off the edge more than once.

  Did the condition temporarily improve when you replaced the plugs?

In my case it was the plugs. I had been using resistor plugs and I think
the excessive heat damaged them. Replacing them would solve the problem
for 100 miles or so. It turned out that the plug damage was happening
because my carbs were leaking air causing a lean idle mixture and so
after I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the plugs my problem completely
went away. A good parts guy pointed out that my TR specifies
non-resistor plugs and that NGK were in his opinion the most durable in
terms of heat. So with rebuilt carbs, and non-resistor NGKs my car's
problem, which sounds similar to yours, is gone.

Hope this helps a little.