RE: air compressors

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: air compressors
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:07:15 -0700
>  now how
> the heck do I
> tell her I need $1500.00 to replace a 3 year old compressor,

Fred, you might want to investigate if the compressor itself is bad, or just
the motor.  If it's just the motor, then it can be replaced by itself a lot
more economically than buying a whole new assembly.  And usually, it's
pretty simple to change the motor, as the mountings, shaft sizes, etc. are
all pretty much standardized.

In fact, it would probably still be cheaper even if you had to replace the
compressor, as the tank, valves, etc. are still a substantial portion of the
cost of the assembly.  Bit more hassle though, as compressors aren't as well
standardized.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest some tests afterwards, to try to determine why
the old one failed.  Check the voltage at the motor with it running (max
load, ie just before the pressure switch cuts out); plus motor temperature
after it's been working for an hour or two.  Both limits should be on the
name plate.  As I recall, you had an Ingersoll-Rand, which is one of the
best makes around.  If so, a conversation with their tech support people
might be in order too.  No, it's probably not under warranty, but they may
have some more ideas as to why it failed so soon.  Might be able to make you
a deal on repair parts, too.

Randall