58 TR3A with run-on (dieseling) after ignition off

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 58 TR3A with run-on (dieseling) after ignition off
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:25:04 -0400
Having restored the car to running and driving status with the help of
the list (thank you) I now find that the car runs on and knocks roughly
after turning off the ignition. I remember this being called "dieseling"
and attributed it to carbon buildup in the heads causing ignition
without a spark. Is this correct? What can or should be done about it? I
stop this by engaging the clutch with the car in gear but worry about
the long tern effects. Any suggestions?

BTW I have to say the car is a blast to drive and the experience of
motoring in a sidescreen car with the top off is amazing. For all of you
helping us to preserve this experience I salute you.
-ra-