Gear Shifting Anomalies

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear Shifting Anomalies
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:52:56 EDT
After having my 1960 TR3A back on the road for about 5 wonderful weeks, I'm
noticing some recurring quirks from my clutch and/or tranny.  Here are the
scenarios:

1.  Ocassionally, usually upon first start up, I find I can't shift  into
reverse because the gears are spinning, and shifting will lead to  grinding.
At
these times, I typically shut off the car, shift into  reverse, push in the
clutch, and then restart the engine.  All is then  well.

2.  Ocassionally, after starting the car, I find it very difficult to  put
the car into first gear; that is, there is great resistance to moving the
shifter so that first gear is engaged.  A good, sharp shove will overcome  the
resistance, but something is obviously amiss.

A few notes:  I did rebuild the master and slave cylinders, which  appear to
be functioning fine, I replaced the hose at the slave, and I did  adjust all
the play at the master, the pedal and the slave.  The PO had  replaced the
original tranny with one that has synchromesh on first gear.   I did experience
the problem with reverse last year, but thought I might solve  it with the
rebuilding the leaking master and slave cylinders.

Ideas?

TIA,

Bill Stagg
1960 TR3A