Gear oil lube

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear oil lube
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:47:57 -0400 appledore2.notes.duke.edu/DUMC_Services/mc/Duke(Release 6.0.3HF22 | October 10, 2003) at 06/04/2004 09:47:58
 I tried some LE (Lubrication Engineers) 90W gear oil in the TR Tranny and
it actually causes the tired synchronizers to work better than the light
weight synthetic oil most TR fans tout.   The LE is so slippery that I
expected it to make the synchronization worse.  However, I tried it because
it has such good antiwear properties, doesn't foam, and climbs all over the
moving parts like it is alive.  Sort of reminds me of "The Blob"

  I've been using LE oils for over 25 years now and have had nothing but
outstanding service from them.   Our local power companies use their stuff
at all the generator plants.   Also our county fleet vehicles and water
treatment plants use them as well.   In all these cases, long term
repair/service records have shown that LE has proven to have superior wear
protection.   The gear oil is a highly refined paraffin base stock which is
virtually inert so that it won't degrade the bronze parts.  It also clings
better than high tack chain lube and is next to impossible to wash of even
with purple stuff.

I used to be Volkswagen mechanic.  So, I could actually see just how much
metal had worn between oil changes since the old Beetles had a sump drain
plate.   When our customers switched to LE, the metal deposits were about
half as much on the first oil change.  And this was after driving the cars
about twice the distance compared to normal oil.  On the second and third
changes, the deposits were reduced to about half as much again.  After the
fourth change, the wear pretty much stabilized, and the internal parts
stayed virtually clean of any varnish.   LE has no sulfur or ash to cause
sludge.   So, it is not a detergent oil.

This is not a paid advertisement.  Just an unsolicited testimonial.   Check
this stuff out.  http://www.le-inc.com/   The above is from my good friend
and former owner of my TR, John Lestina. Not DPO.  I bought my 1965-66 TR4A
from him in 1979.  Have tried to get him to join the list, and will try
again.   Arnold