horn help needed

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: horn help needed
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:08:47 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i52D99gs007961
Message text written by "Jack W. Drews"
>The horn on a friend's TR6 suddenly stopped working. He needs it for self
defense while driving his car to work in in Chicago. My Bentley manual
(which has taught me several new ways to cuss) does not show the relay in
the wiring diagram. I don't have a Dan Masters book, but I promise to buy
one. Meanwhile, could someone please tell me the destination of each wire
on the horn relay? Thanks in advance.
<

Jack, I do not have my copy of Dan's book with me so I am going from
memory.  I know for a fact that the wiring is as follows but I am unsure of
the wire colors:

A switched hot wire (possibly green) comes from the fuse block (either
directly or indirectly) to one contact terminal (C1) and one winding
terminal (W1) on the relay.  The other winding terminal gets a wire that
goes to the horn bush and the the push on the steering wheel.  The other
contact gets a wire that goes to the horns.  The other side of the horns
are grounded as is the other side of the horn push in the steering wheel.

An important note on the horn push.  Since the horn push provides a circuit
to ground via the steering shaft and since the shaft has at least one
rubber coupling and since the rack is mounted with rubber mounts wires are
provided to bypass these electrical isolator.  Check for a wire that runs
to each side of the rubber shaft coupling.  Also check for the black wire
that is attached to the fill plug on the steering rack.  Without these the
horn will become intermittant and dependant on the occasional ground path
that occurs when the upper steering shaft contacts some stationalry metal
behind the dash.

Hope this helps.

Dave