RE: Fulcrum pins - the latest

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fulcrum pins - the latest
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:54:40 -0700
> Ibve removed, by brute force and ignorance, the center and two
> outer tie rods, all in one piece, connected together with the
> four tie rod ends.

BTDT !

> However, when I pried/hammered off the center tie rod from the
> drop arm, the fulcrum pin remained in the drop arm.  Ibm not
> quite sure how to get it out.  Ibm really tempted to clamp on a
> vice-grip and try and twist it out but thought that it may mess
> up the drop arm.

I don't think it will hurt anything, but I don't think it's likely to work,
either.

> I can put a spark plug socket over it but
> therebs no room to get a C-clamp over the socket - unless I turn
> the steering wheel b which I have a feeling I shouldnbt do at
> this stage.

Shouldn't be a problem turning the wheel.  You'll have to re-align when
you're done anyway.

As I said before, I've used the "two hammer" approach in the past with good
success.  However, those impacts get transmitted to the worm in the steering
box ... this may well be why my worm looks so chewed up.

Here's a link to the tool I plan to try next time :
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=3093
If that doesn't work, try
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K18826B68

Randall