Re: TR3A Gas and Brake Line Recommendations

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Gas and Brake Line Recommendations
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:56:58 -0700
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 7:09 PM

> > 1)  Gas line:  I did note Randall's suggestion for fuel line:
> > "bundy tubing"
> > from McMaster - Carr @ $18 for a 25 foot roll.  But I also need the
> > compression fittings too.  What size of line and compression
> > fittings should I ask for?
>
> From the tank to the pump is 5/16" od, from the pump to the carbs is 1/4"
> od.  For the smaller run, it may be cheaper to buy a brake line (possibly
> even with fittings which will have to be cut off) at your local auto parts
> store, rather than buying a whole roll from MMC (or JCW).  ISTR there's
only
> one compression fitting, it's a 5/16" coupling under the car, and you can
> buy a replacement coupling from any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowe's,
> etc.).  The compression ferrules are available from the same place.  The
nut
> (and ferrule) on the pump outlet is a special item, I don't know of a
source
> for new nuts.  If you're lucky, a regular 1/4" ferrule will work with the
> original nut.

I would recommend that while you are at it, you add a valve, as close to the
tank as possible.  It will come in handy if you ever have a problem with the
fuel lines or even the gas tank in the future. I installed one just before
the fuel pump and that makes cleaning the sedimaent bowl or working on the
carbs a lot easier but I wish I wasn't so hasty when I put in the new fuel
tank and had added a valve right on the bottom fitting of the tank.  I know
some of these valves can impede flow, but it reall hasn't been a problem.
If you're concerned, try a speed shop or even a motorcycle parts place, but
I got mine at a hardware store.

Just a sugegstion,
Bob