TR3A Week 2

To: Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A Week 2
From: Triumph TR2 <triumphtr2@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 23:41:33 -0400
Fred et al - Thanks for the responses, encouragement, advice and veiled
comments on my sanity...

 I now know where/when the local club meets, and am looking forward to
joining them... a brit pub just down the street from me as a meeting hall
works out especially well for more than one reason!

A freind/neighbour (who recently had a lapse in judgment and bought an MG
Midget) had referred me to a local shop with a Jag specialty that does his
work, and I dropped it off for an assessment Thurs AM. Nice big clean shop -
7 mechanics, paint, body and machine shops on-site, TR 250 in one bay,
'vettes, Jags, and various ordinary cars in others, and my friends MG in
another (apparently that's where it lives). He scared me a little after
helping roll it off the trailer, then later in the office saying, "so what
was it... a '68?...  MGB?"... I was hoping he was just messing with me.
Figuring not much could be screwed up just looking it over, I left, and
remembered what it was like on our daughter's first day of school. (That's
just wrong, isn't it?)

Tonight we spent the better part of two hours after hours going over the car
top to bottom, on the hoist and off, talking about what needed to be done,
in what order, and his love of Jags, Morgans, Healeys, MGs, Triumphs, etc.
Felt much better tonight than after I dropped it off.

Key on revealed there is still fuel in the tank (from '98!), pump and fuel
lines work with a couple of leaks around the filter, and makes it as far as
the carbs, and starter made sounds something like a coffee grinder full of
marbles (but flywheel looks fine). So far, I need a starter ( and following
the advice of recent posts, will get a new one, have the old one re-built
later if start to feel originality envy), fan belt and fresh battery to get
to to the next step. The engine turns over by hand, so, as my new best
friend Ed says, "That's one good thing, and one thing at a time". I source
and deliver the parts, he supervises, his guys will do the work at much less
than shop rate.

I can likely find the spec on the recommended new starter by dredging the
archives, but perhaps someone has the info at hand and can provide me with
the make, part # and source? I'm assuming Moss is the best source for the
belt?

Cameron Joyce
'59 TR3A ( on Ed's hoist)
'54 TR2 ( in disguise as a parts car)