RE: (no subject)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: (no subject)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 14:17:11 -0700
> as i am about to get new tires mounted on old, old rims, i am
> curious as the
> what the group thinks is the best finish for the old rims. non
> wire wheels.
> first they need sandblast or dipped.

Be sure to inspect them carefully for cracks first.  Sandblasting can
sometimes hide the cracks, and TR rims are known to be apt to crack near the
lug holes, and around the edge of the flat area outside the lug holes.

> then i can paint them in the garage with laquer. i have all the necessary
> equipment.
> or i could go the powder coating way. the powder coating gets all
> inside the
> wheel and around the bead area. good, bad, indifferent?
> what is the abrasion resistance of powder coatings?

IMO powder coating is the way to go.  Both abrasion and chemical resistance
is outstanding.

> at $35.00 a rim it does not seem too bad a price.

Fred, I think that's your cue ...

> oh yes, and i haven't looked yet, but is my 58 TR3 tubes or tubeless?

Original tires used tubes, I believe, but don't believe anyone that says the
original rims are unsafe with tubeless tires.  They work just fine.  Yeah,
OK, probably not as safe as a Volvo ...

Randall