TR3 overheating solved (knock on wood)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 overheating solved (knock on wood)
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:40:37 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Hi Folks,

The yellow plastic fan from TRF is installed (backwards).  Since I had to
remove the radiator anyway, I took it to a radiator shop to get boiled out
($68).  He also repaired a pin-hole leak.  He said he was impressed by the
thickness of the tubes in the radiator.  Since I had the grill off, I went
ahead and enlarged the grill openings, as per Randall's suggestion.  My wife
actually says it looks better like that.
The net result is I really believe the cooling problem has been solved.  I been
out 3 times on runs of about 60 miles each and the needle only got as far as
the "K" in the "Made in UK".  (I think I have the TR4 electric temp sensor and
gauge).  That equates to about 180F by my calibrations.  ( I have a summer
thermostat 160F, BTW). Temperatures have only been in the high 70's here in NC
so I will not know for sure until summer arrives.  Runs of that length would
normally bring the needle just under the red zone though, so I'm pretty
confident.

All in all, I'm very pleased.  Removing the apron was not the total horror job
I had thought it would be.  Also, it gave me the chance to take a look at the
steering components, etc.

Best Regards,  Adrian