RE: RE: Spitfire Water Pump... oops...

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: RE: RE: Spitfire Water Pump... oops...
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:47:11 -0400
Cc: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, abeck@ica.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net i3TBnmRT025545
Message text written by "Joe Curry"
>Dave,
Isn't the water finding its way to that hole as a result of going
through the bearing?  If that is the case it should make no difference
at all since the seal failure is already done at that point.

Joe
<

Well, heck, I don't know.  I just assumed they located the hole to allow
the water to exit the housing before it reached the bearings.  Since all
seals leak a little bit, a trace amount of water will seep through the seal
and if it can exit a drain hole before it reaches the bearings the pump
will still enjoy a long, usefull life.  It's been years since I looked at a
TR6 pump (which I assume is very similar to a Spitfire pump) but I seem to
recall the hole was closer to the bump section than the extension section.

Dave