Head gasket - TR4

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head gasket - TR4
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:27:46 -0500
Greetings,

As you may recall, I thought I blew a head gasket on my '64 TR4 driving
home from VTR SE Tallahassee to Wheaton, IL.  I have the head off now
and there is indeed significant missing gasket material between cyls 3 &
4. The failed gasket was the classic copper over fiber (asbestos?) type.
Anyway, assuming my head comes back ok from the shop where it's being
magna-flux crack tested, I'm ready to put the engine back together.  Two
questions come to mind:

1.  The replacement gasket I have is the same as the failed - copper
both sides over fiber.  Is there anything better? any suggestions?

2.  I plan to fill the engine with new oil & filter, start and bring the
engine up to operating temp, shut down and change the oil and filter -
to try and rid the engine crankcase of the residual oil/coolant now
present. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the input.

brgds, Jay

Wheaton, IL
'64 TR4 CT38895LO - not running at the moment