Re: TR3 and oxygen sensors

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: Re: TR3 and oxygen sensors
From: ron meek <rmeek8@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:44:50 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall,

I must have missed the fact that the discussion  was only talking about
setting the idle.
I have two widebands and I tune a lot of turbo'd and supercharged cars
and they are indispensable.
I only have two Triumph customers and one of them was quite happy with
with his own tune on his carbs,
I finally persuaded him to let me use my wideband and he could see for
himself how far off his wot a/f ratio was.
His a/f was between 17:1 and 18:1 and he thought the car ran just fine,
we did a lot of tuning and brought that down
to about 12.5:1 and he went from 115 SAE hp to 142 hp at the wheels.
Since then we've put a set of webers on and it feels
even better, we'll re-dyno soon.
Anyway, I feel some of you more serious racers could benefit from this
technology.

Thanks
Ron

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:49:26 -0700 "Randall Young"
<ryoung@navcomtech.com> writes:
> ron meek wrote :
> >
> > If you didn't use a wideband sensor you cannot get any meaningful
> > results.
>
> I disagree Ron.  I'm quite familiar with the debate, and aware that
> conventional O2 sensors are not at all accurate near the points of
> interest
> (ie maximum fuel economy and maximum power).  However, they are
> quite
> accurate at a point in between those two points (ie stoichiometric);
> and
> that point is a reasonable, useful approximation to both of the
> other
> points.  Especially since we were only talking about setting idle
> mixture,
> being able to find stoichiometric (and move a small amount either
> way from
> that point) is meaningful.
>
> Randall

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
NarrowbandOutputGraph.jpg]