Re: TR4A frame needed (longish)

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A frame needed (longish)
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:08:08 +0100
Hi Peter and Partner
I'm afraid I can't help you except to say, I would think there are a good
few of us who have choked back the tears, and not only over what someone
else did but also over what we have done, the bits that broke, the stud with
an easy out broken in it, that just made a nearly restored item in to junk.
I have certainly been there.
I would offer that things are not always as bad as first impressions, and
that bad patching over the rust can often be undone with a big grinder and a
few hours spent. I think the fact that they did not cut the rust out of the
chassis means there is a high chance it can be salvaged, and if there work
is real bad perhaps the welding is just as bad and will come off easily? I
learnt to weld because I did not trust someone else with doing it for me.
Mig welders are quite cheap and when you consider you budgeted $1000 for
this work you could have had a reasonably specified welder and possibly the
tuition fee to learn to weld out of that. If not are you in an active club,
I am going to be teaching one of our local members to weld when his family
crises (one after the other recently!) stop preventing him from having time.
Is there a member who could teach you to weld.
I hope that you do manage to get this situation resolved satisfactorily, and
do not end up so disillusioned as to start selling bits off. Might I
respectfully suggest a cooling off period (1 week?) before reconsidering
such drastic action!

All the best
Graham.