replacement voltage regulator for Lucas 16ACR alternator? what next?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: replacement voltage regulator for Lucas 16ACR alternator? what next?
From: Steve Myers <mountainunicycle@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:52:32 -0700
Hi List,

Does anyone know if a 2-wire voltage regulator can be used on a Lucas
16ACR alternator, which previously used a 3-wire regulator?

I bought a new regulator (or at least what I think is the regulator)
for the alternator in my '72 GT6, and it only had 2 wires. I hooked it
up as per the wire colors of the previous unit, minus the wire that was
missing. My battery stopped being charged soon after, so I suspect the
2-wire regulator is the culprit.

I did notice the wiring was a little funky (a couple solder
connections, and there is no wire connected to the big - (neg)
terminal), so I'm wondering if maybe the 16ACR isn't original and the
wiring was modified for something else?

Any input would be appreciated! My usual source doesn't have the 3-wire
regulator, so I'm not sure what the next step should be--find a three
wire regulator, 'fix' the wiring in the car, or just buy a new
alternator (which might require more mods to wiring?).

Thanks!
Steve
'72 GT6
'71 TR6