RE: TR4a OD Trans in a TR250??

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4a OD Trans in a TR250??
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:40:43 -0700
> My understanding is, it is the size of piston and spring in the
> accumulator was changed.

That's right.  There's also a sleeve that goes in the original piston bore,
to carry the smaller piston.

> I think this affects both the pressure and volume of oil
> available to bang the od engaged.

The change is primarily to the volume of pressurized oil available to move
the operating pistons.  The actual operating pressure is higher (at least
for early TR6 vs TR3, but I assume the change was for the 6-pot engine); but
the smaller accumulator piston has the effect of letting the pressure fall
much farther when the OD is first engaged, to give a softer engagement.  The
pressure quickly builds back up though, to lock the OD clutch against the
increased torque of the bigger engine.  The net result is a lot less 'bang'
when shifting into OD.

Randall