RE: A couple more TR4 starter questions... sorry:)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A couple more TR4 starter questions... sorry:)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 23:25:40 -0700
> Okay... I have the starter out.  It spins freely (unloaded) - isn't
> dragging.  Is there a preferred way to load test it out of the car?

I don't have a good load test ... my suggestion is to disassemble it and
look for worn brushes, and scrape marks where the armature has touched the
pole pieces.  Any scraping at all means the bushings must be replaced.

> Also... I noticed that I had no starter mounting shim (Moss part 549-430).
> Should my car have this shim?

There's a procedure for determining that, which I don't recall offhand but I
think it's in the book ... seems like most cars work fine without it.

Randall