Re: spin on filter adapter

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spin on filter adapter
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:35:43 +0100
Hi Bob
Not only does mounting it upside down make a big mess at change time, but it
also negates one of the main reasons for the spin on conversion, the oil can
still drain down. Please don't start to me about filters with non return
valves, I haven't found any of these (including AC Delco X series) that work
for more than a couple of weeks!
When you come to fit it, fit the filter to the adaptor dry then offer the
whole lot to the side of the engine and pivot it to where the clearance is
best without getting too far from vertical. tighten the adaptor to the block
then remove the filter, prime it (all good technicians will prime a filter
before fitting it!)(for prime read sit there trying to get the gallon oil
can to dribble gently into the filter without trapping air and causing an
eruption of oil that would make BP start drilling nearby!) and re install it
and be happy that your dry start up problems will be virtually eliminated.
Fitting inverted also makes priming the filter a worthless exercise!

Graham.