D type solenoid

To: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
Subject: D type solenoid
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:46:27 -0400
Cc: john@quantumechanics.com, "Nelson Riedel" <NARiedel@adelphia.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, handhvan@MSN.COM i37CnnwY017812
Message text written by "Ronnie Babbitt"
>One minute, I think I have the OD sorted and then..  I am beginning to
question the solenoid. I removed the cover plate and when I activate the
solenoid it barely pulls the plunger in. I can give it a tiny bit of
assistance and it will grab it. Once engaged it holds it.
<

Ronnie, you might be able to remedy the situation with a simple adjustment.
 A solenoid has a pulling strength that is inversly related to the
displacement.  This means that the further away from the "home," or fully
closed position the plunger is the less strength it has.  If you adjust the
stroke so that it doesn't fall away quite so far it may perform more
reliably.

I'm not familiar with the D-type overdrive except to say they are heavy.  I
bought one at a swap meet and had to carry it 1/2 mile to the car.  I
subsequently traded it off for some carbs but that is another story.  I
don't know if it has the "dual coil" solenoid, as does the A-type, but if
it does the pull-in contacts in the solenoid itself may be causing problems
and a little work with a point file can give temproary relief.  A new
solenoid will give longer term relief.  But if your O/D has a single coil
solenoid, as does the J-type, I doubt a new solenoid would work any
differently.

Cheers

Dave Massey