TR4 Starter Problems - Update

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Starter Problems - Update
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:33:03 -0500
> Kurtis, can you tell us a bit more about what happens when it won't crank
?
> Does the starter make any kind of noise ?  Does the engine turn at all ?
If
> you have the lights on at the same time, do they dim ?

The lights dim noticably.

> I'd check things like wear in the starter bushes (allowing the armature to
> drag on the pole pieces) and a centrifugal advance that is loose not
> returning to full retard when the engine is shut off.

I've not pulled the starter, but will this week.  I did tweak the timing a
little...  It was a little bit advanced, but not grossly.

Here's what happened this evening:

When I came home, I tried to crank it up.  It cranked, but weakly.  I put a
charger on it (I borrowed my neigbor's charger, which has a 200 amp starter
booster).  It fired right up.  I warmed the car up, adjusted the timing (I
set for maximum rpm, then retarded 100 rpm), then drove it around for about
20 minutes.  It ran great - no missing or hesitation.  I shut it down,
waited a couple of minutes, then tried to fire it up.  It turned over once
then hung (like the battery was dead).  I waited about 5 minutes and tried
again.  This time it turned weakly but caught fire and started right up.  I
shut it down and hooked a 10 amp automatic charger to it.  Within about two
minutes it was indicating a full charge.  I disconnected the charger and
started it.  It turned over (somewhat weakly) and fired right up.

I shut it down, washed my hands, opened up a homebrew and sat down and typed
this message. :)

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks,

Kurtis J.